Friday, October 8, 2010

Late details on the final set of treatments...

Almost two weeks ago, I embarked on my second set of treatments.  There will be a total of four - so as of now, I only have three more to go!

The day itself was an emotional one.  I am the girl who walks in the treatment center with my arms loaded full of stuff...magazines, snacks, cozy blankets and smiles.  This particular day, I was full of tears.  It was the fear of the unknown that was getting me this time.  How was my body going to react to this new drug? Was my inflamed vein, still sensitive to the touch going to be a problem?  How long was this going to take?  I just wanted to be at home, safe in my bed.

After the usual drawing of blood for labs, I continued upstairs to meet with my doctor.  She always puts me at ease, even though she is very matter-a-fact, she is kind and sensitive and makes me feel better.  After a thorough exam, its official, the vein that was hurting me is no longer able to be used.  The last treatment of the "hard stuff" damaged the inside of the vein wall.  It's still irritated but it will heal, in time, and may not be until after I am done with the final three.  We all agree together, I am in the home stretch...and thankful that I have other veins to chose from. There is no need to implement a port or other device....whew!

After my appointment, John and I head down to the treatment area....its backlogged for at least an hour.  We decide to go grab some lunch at a local spot.  It's one of the few times I have been in public without my wig, and only wearing a scarf.  I forget how strange it feels to have people look at me, with question in their eyes.  When I am in my wig, they don't pay attention to me the same way.

We head back and the room is still packed.  We nab the only seat available.  It's comfortable at first...then fast forward 4 hours later.  The treatment chair next to me has changed over two times....in that time I have learned more details than I care to know about two different families. I know about jobs, finances, family issues, the list goes on.  I think each person receiving treatment had 4 people with them...it was non stop.  It's an awkward situation at best, wanting to yell "BE QUIET" at the top of your lungs....however,  I refrain and determine that next time I am bringing ear phones.

I arrived home almost eight hours later, a little queasy and exhausted but happy to see my girls and my parents.  I eat my traditional dinner of top ramen, say my prayers and head off to bed.

Thankfully the next morning (day 2) feels more like day 7 of the prior treatments.  I take my anti-nausea meds, get up eat breakfast and feel human again.  The rest of the week only got better.  I was careful not to push it, resting when I needed to, and ventured out for a few errands by Thursday.  Needless to say, it was a good week.

I am gearing up again for another Monday, unfortunately I have a cold which slowly showed itself beginning Tuesday this week.  I am treating all the symptoms with humidifiers, vicks vapo rub, liquids and lots of rest.  I need to be healthy by Monday or they will not allow me to receive my treatment.  Which I am NOT going to miss.

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you don't need a port!, Sorry about your poor little tortured vein! Home stretch honey, hang in there! We love the our pink bands. Chris has been wearing his to work, and likes it if someone ask what it represents! Emma keeps stealing mine to wear! Love you! Get over that Cold Quickly!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope today went well, Alexxa, and that tomorrow is even easier than the previous Tuesday! Love you!
    Roger & Shloe

    ReplyDelete