Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thank You - Mom & Dad

Sorry for not updating faithful friends.  It has been a busy week. Monday, the 18th I celebrated my 37th birthday.  The few days leading up to the "big day" were bittersweet.  Some tears of happiness, some tears of sadness, some tears just because I felt like it.  

Sometimes I sometimes think to myself...How hard it must be on my parents to have a child who is facing this challenge. How can you ever prepare yourself for something like that?  In the years proceeding up to this diagnosis (basically the day I entered the world on October 18, 1973 to June 11, 2010), my parents have ALWAYS been there for me...But they have even more so in the past four months.

My mom has been living with us 5 days a week since my surgery June 24th. She arrives Sunday night and leaves Friday night.  She cooks, she cleans, she does the laundry, she grocery shops, she tends to the kids if I need help, she helps me make lunches...pretty much ANYTHING I need.  Her big weeks are my treatment weeks, when I could be in bed for a few days.  

My dad too, although he does not stay with us, he has been a rock.  First of all, he has allowed my mom to live with us during this time.  He also stops by and checks in daily to see what we might need.  As most men are, he is in a supervisory role (or at least we let him think so :)), providing emotional stability, lots of encouragement, heavy duty praying, hugs when needed and of course taking out the trash.  Don't worry we feed him a couple times a week too.  There is not a day that goes by, that I don't think about how blessed I am to have my parents with me during this time.

Tonight as I update this diary, I just wanted to say Thank You Mom and Dad for seeing me and my family thru this time.

Thank you for ...
Life
Guidance
Patience
Encouragement
Faith
Love

And for ALWAYS being there.....ALWAYS.


2 comments:

  1. I doubt there is a parent alive that would not be very emotional after reading those heartfelt sentiments!! You are so precious to share that, not only your Mom and Dad, but also all the rest of us. What kind words Alexxa, and I am so amazed that in the midst of your suffering you were able to rise above and share you concern for someone else. I am blessed to be related to you for sure!! Love you deary!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you've reduced me to uncontrollable tears, sweet niece! What an absolutely beautiful tribute to two awesome parents! I often try to imagine what they must be going through, watching you deal with all this ordeal holds. And the truth is, I cannot begin to fathom what they must feel. Their acts are surely love at its finest -- as God would have us love each other. They are a wonderful example to us all. Clearly, they raised you well, too, honey. You are strong, resilient, at times preciously vulnerable, and even with all you are enduring, you are still SELFLESS and LOVING!! You are precious beyond words, and you radiate beauty, both inside and out. God adores you, and so do I. XOXO

    ReplyDelete