Thursday, December 30, 2010

12 down....But who's counting?

I am!  12 down and 13 to go....Yea!  I am officially half way thru radiation!  


You already know the process - nothing much has changed with the exception that I see my radiation oncologist weekly for any skin changes on the area receiving radiation.  I am starting to have a little skin reaction, totally normal, which just stings a bit.


Today, however, I smelled something funny during the last 30 seconds of my last blast.  I explained it to the techs, and they described it as "ozone" and patients do mention the smell from time to time.  


I did some research and it could be caused from the Linear Accelerator. This fancy machine delivers the high powered x-rays to the area where my tumor once was and destroys any remaining bad cells.  The total session lasts about 1 1/2 - 2 mins and moves into 4 maybe 5 different positions.  Apparently, the Linear Accelerator can make this stinky smell as it is blasting me...not sure if it is a reaction from my skin?  I'll have to report back next week to see if the smell continues.


Sleepy?  Yes, I am tired.  To be honest I don't know if it is from the radiation or the holidays?


Our Christmas festivities were filled fun.  We kicked off the week with a great family dinner --- where we connected with John's cousins, aunts and cute babies just added to the family. On Christmas Eve, we attended mass and then continued the family gathering at a local restaurant (the smartest move we ever did) - no one had to cook!  Christmas morning was just as fun, as people slowly arrived in waves and by the time we sat down to dinner - we had 20 at our house.  Everyone brought something, helped clean and made it very easy.


This year, we partook in the 2nd Annual Peppermint Pig cracking.  The Peppermint Pig was brought to us last year by John's sister and her family - which was introduced to her from her husbands family...follow?


A Pink Peppermint Candy Flavored Pig (about the size of a 4x6 index card) is put into a small red velvet like bag and a little hammer is used to hit the pig, but not before each person takes a turn around the table....each saying a little something for which they are thankful.  The little kids even enjoy participating.  It is a nice way to reflect upon the year.  This year, there was not a dry eye around the table - lots of reflection upon Faith, Family and Love.  It was really a wonderful evening. 


I don't know about you - but we were in our PJ's for most of the next day....I think I finally upgraded to sweats about 2pm!


On to New Years....We plan to be mellow.  We will be ushering in the New Year counting our blessings, and anticipating many more in the coming year.


Love to all...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely holiday season for you and the family. Glad that you are 1/2 way through radiation...woo hoo!!!
    Even at the darkest hours of life there are so many things to be thankful for. I am thankful that I know such a mighty woman of God filled with faith, love and joy. I pray for a wonderous 2011 for you and your family. You rung your New Year's in the same way we do....around the house enjoying family :).
    Stacey W.

    ReplyDelete