Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Groundhog Day

If you have ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day" then you know what I am talking about.  It is probably one of my favorite movies, and just thinking about it makes me chuckle.  This movie is currently my life...well, at least for an hour of my day - everyday, for the next 5 weeks.

In the mid morning hour, I find myself driving down highway 50 to the Sutter Cancer Center where my treatment will take place.  I pull into the valet parking area (thank goodness with all the construction going on down there), give the name of my doctor, take the valet ticket and hop on the elevator down to the lower level.  Scan my identification card, go to the changing area, say "hi" to the gentleman who is sitting there drinking his coffee and reading the newspaper (as he is waiting for his treatment), change into my fabulous Annie & Isabel gown (which I always get compliments on), and lock up my belongings in the locker, yes, the same locker every time.

I head on back to the common area, make a few minutes of small talk with the man drinking his coffee and a voice over the intercom calls me back for treatment.  I think they draw straws to determine who has to call me back, for fear of having to say my last name....now they just call me Alexxa.

As I enter "Treatment Room A", my mold (made special just for me) is waiting for me on the table.  I lay (or is it lie??) back on the table and a huge circular machine (probably the size of an extra large pizza) looms over me. Inside, is the machine which will deliver the radiation to specified location on my chest and armpit.  The machine is carefully set to my tattoos, which looks more like a laser beam running on an "x" and "y" axis and the radiation is almost set to begin.  However, the techs leave the room and a door 2 feet thick slowly closes behind them...and I am not exaggerating on the thickness.  There I am all by myself (and the camera's so the techs can see me) and the procedure begins.  I have tried counting --- but I keep screwing up....I think it is 4-5 different times the machine moves with radiation administered in increments as short as 12 seconds to lasting up to 1 minute.  It is all very fast, and painless --- pretty much like an x-ray.

After I am finished, the techs re-enter the room, I leave the table and head for the dressing room.  Get dressed, put my gown in my bag, say good bye to the gentleman reading the newspaper and still drinking his coffee and head upstairs for the car.  Give the valet my ticket, my car arrives, tip the valet and I am off and running.

All of this usually happens in the course of 1 hour, start to finish.....and repeats Monday thru Friday.

It is pretty un-eventful and I am thankful that I am feeling fine.  They say that the reactions vary from person to person. I am a little bit tired these days, but I truly believe that it is because of the holiday season.  Yes, I am not at home relaxing right now....I've got too much to do, preparing for Christmas with my family.

This Christmas I am reflecting on many many things I am thankful for...but mainly for the baby, who became a man, who died for me.

3 comments:

  1. Alexxa,

    I love that movie "Groundhog Day" You probably don't love it too much right now but just think of each day as one step closer to the finish line!!! So glad you get to wear your hospital gown for the radiation:-)

    Hope you have a very Merry Christmas with your family. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alexxa, My thoughts and prayers are with you. You are a very courageous young woman who will kick this in the butt! You have a strong support system and your faith, which will lift you up in times of need. If you need anything, anything at all, please let us know. We love all of you. Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog! You inspire me all the time! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete