Yep, its back....my hair! New and improved? I don't know yet...all I know is after months of peach fuzz on my head, it is finally here. Unfortunately, it has started growing back on my legs too...darn, I knew the benefit of not having to shave my legs was too good to last!
It first started to appear about a week before Christmas, then filling in quickly thereafter. By the time the New Year had arrived - it was making a strong come back. The kicker....it is pretty much all gray. Not a cute sassy gray, but titanium gray with lots of white! Let's face it, I am 37 years old, I am not going gray yet.
Eagerly, I ran out to Whole Foods and purchased my "chemical free" hair color. My wonderful mom applied the new color, but quickly gave the disclaimer that she was NOT responsible for the outcome of the color, since I picked it out. (Insert sound of big negative buzzer here) I can honestly say the new "chemical free" hair color was worse than the gray! Thank goodness I still had my wig! Ok, so Plan B. I headed over to my stylist's studio and she made "me" look much more like "me."
Last Thursday, I decided that I would no longer be wearing my wig. It was a very difficult decision to make. However, first I wanted to get clearance from my hubby and the kiddies - that they were OK with my new look. Sure, they were used to seeing me at home with or without a cap on....but out in public, that was an entirely different story. My wonderful hubby told me I looked beautiful and to go for it. The middle and little one were absolutely fine with it too. The older one, she needed a little more convincing. I told her that my hair WAS growing back, and I AM healthy and I don't need to wear my wig anymore. She agreed and told me that she loved me.
So now that I had their blessing, I actually had to pull the trigger....Let me tell you - I was scared. In my wig, I felt like my old self and people who did not know me - would not know any different or what I was going through. Well, despite the fact that my hair was always perfect....but hey, how did they know whether or not I had it flat ironed everyday?
My first trial run was at one of my kiddos basketball practice. It was evening and cold outside, so I was able to wear one of my hats. Most of my hair was tucked under the cap, but you could still see it on the sides. The next morning, after dropping off my kiddos in the carpool line - a friend of mine immediately called to give me the nicest compliment. She saw me the night before and just wanted to let me know how beautiful I looked and that I was glowing. I began to cry.
That day was a very emotional day for me, in a good way. I continued to receive the nicest compliments throughout the day. When I picked up my kiddos from school that afternoon (I could not hide in my car like I did in the morning), I was a nervous wreck. I kept my baseball cap in my purse, just in case I decided to chicken out...and there were plenty of times when I felt like it. But I did not, and I asked God to give me strength to pass this next hurdle.
I am so blessed to belong to a wonderful community where my kiddos attend school. Every single person I encountered were so loving and warm. If they missed me in the parking lot, they sent me an email that night - with kind and encouraging words, I will never forget that day....how I felt, how scared I was and how they made me feel safe. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
Before I go, just a couple funnies to share with you...
Earlier that day, I had promised my radiation team that if I did ditch the wig, I would not wear it to radiation either...so I entered into the patient treatment room - and my buddy Herbert ( I know his name now) did a double take. He said "Hey! I like your new style" I told him, "I finally got rid of the wig" - he said "well, I kind of figured it was a wig you were wearing, but you know, its not polite to say anything." Gosh, I love you Herbert.
Then upon leaving the facility, I gave the valet my ticket - the valet man said "hey! did you do something different with your hair, you really cut it short." I said "well, before I was wearing a wig....and this is my actual hair." He then turned white and quickly ran off to get my car. I thought to myself...Seriously? You work at a Cancer Center?"
Anyway, when I think about those two particular circumstances that day...they make me laugh.
PS - Did I mention that tomorrow is my last radiation treatment day? I can't believe that it is finally here.
Happy last day of radiation!!! Hooray:-) I know you still have lots of healing to do and we are always thinking about you and are so happy that another chapter is behind you now. I loved this post!! I can only imagine how nerve racking it was to go out with YOUR hair. You are such a beautiful woman and I am sure you looked terrific!!
ReplyDeleteHugs to you and your family.
Anna
ok, crying again while reading this! When I first saw you in Mass a natural, I almost starting crying right then and there. You are so beautiful Alexxa! Your Funny stories at the end of this one made me laugh. Crying and laughing within a matter of seconds makes my heart sing. I just love U!!! Hope the burn is better!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you have learned that your hair doesn't define you. What has always been so beautiful is your utter confidence and attitude. You could be bald, short hair, long hair, spiky, mohawk and still be you. Granted I can't imagine being w/out my hair as it definitely is our covering so I know it's easier for me to say than experience. Just glad that you have gained that much more confidence in that area. So happy too that your hair grew back so fast and that you are on your way back to a natural you, no wigs. I constantly pray that God continues to bring you through. :)
ReplyDelete