Thursday, December 2, 2010

In my own little world...

Population:  ME

It's been awhile, I know....I have truly been in my own little world.  I have been sucked back into the never ending scheduling of days, from dawn to dusk.  I am feeling better, but not quite 100% a yet, which was evident during a feeble attempt of mine on the elliptical trainer. I am not even up to WALKING speed yet, without my legs aching in pain and the use of an oxygen tank.  Just kidding, I do not need the oxygen tank...however, it would be nice.  I have not ventured to the gym yet.  A few years ago, we bought an elliptical trainer, which was used for awhile....but you know how that goes.  So there it sat for several months collecting dust.  Now I realize that perhaps there WAS a purpose for buying this torture device.  Since, I do not have the desire to go to the gym --- and I would prefer to workout without my wig on (it gets rather hot), this is actually the perfect alternative especially in the rainy weather.

Before I get too far along, let me back up a few weeks....to my Final Treatment.

My final treatment went well. My best buddy Stacey accompanied me, and John met us there. I am so thankful for my dear friend Stacey - taking me to the infusion center can be an intimidating task. She is always strong, she holds my hand when they are poking me to set up my vein for my meds, and tells me funny stories to distract me from real life.

I was a little too anxious.  I did not feel better as quickly as I thought I would. In MY mind I was "done" and I would instantly feel better, the hair on my head would grow back, and I would begin feeling like my old self again. Well, unfortunately this was not the case. I know I need to be patient... And I am trying.

I was itchy all over from the meds, and at times I was crawling out of my skin.  Did I mention the hot flashes?  Oh yes, they are an added benefit.

The first day of Thanksgiving break started off with a bang....Beginning at 8:00am, I had all 3 kiddos at the emergency vet for the dog (an ultrasound, anti nausea meds, and $750 later she was fine).  From there I met my wonderful sitter at the corner gas station, to pass off the kids to her, minus the dog who was still at the vet.  From there I sped off to my radiation "set up" appointment. I was molded, marked and given tattoos of where the radiation would be be on my body.  After that I had to stop for a quick lab draw to check my white blood count.  It was still pretty low and my immunity is still at risk, so I am washing my hands constantly, spraying the kids down with sanitizer and doing everything I can to stay healthy. Finally I made it home just in time to grab the kids for an orthodontist consultation.  Surprise...Bella needs braces!  Needless to say, she is thrilled and is already picking out the color of her rubber bands.  So that was my Monday...the rest of week was not nearly as exciting, thankfully!

We were able to celebrate Thanksgiving with both of our families out of town, and I got a free pass not to cook!  To many things to list this year to be thankful for, mainly my friends and family who have been so wonderful to me.

Ok, fast forward to today....

Radiation will begin on December 14th, for 5 weeks. The good news is that my scheduled time will be in-between dropping off and picking up the littlest one at preschool.  The bad news is that I will have radiation during the kids Christmas vacation.  My wonderful mom has offered to fill in the gaps when I need her...note, she has moved back home and we miss her dearly!

Radiation is not supposed to be painful, but I have heard that I may become tired and it is cumulative.

Tomorrow I have another follow up appointment with my oncologist, just to check in and see how I am doing now that chemo is done.

I apologize for not updating you more and sooner.  I promise to take the time and let you know how I am doing.  You would probably appreciate only having to read just a paragraph or two, instead of a book!

Thank you for your continued prayers, notes of encouragement and love.  I am almost there --- I could not do any of this without  your love and support.

3 comments:

  1. Wish in some way I could help lighten up your load! You still amaze me with your ability to continue to look for the things to be thankful for - how do you do that?? I am glad you do, for I know what our God says about 'thanking Him in all situations!" I am trying to find words of encouragement for you but rather find my heart struggling with that. I love you so dearly and just want to have everything be perfect - now I realize that is impossible this side of heaven, but I know it could be greatly improved!! Maybe just remembering that this day has now passed and with tomorrow comes another day of getting closer to feeling like your old self....it will come Alexxa, hold on to that.
    Love you - Aunt Cia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was just thinking about you so it was nice to catch up on your blog. You have been a busy woman!!! Can't believe you are working out too...you amaze me with your strength! Good luck with your radiation...you are getting towards the home stretch. Don't forget...you can wear you Annie & Isabel gown to radiation so you don't have to wear those icky hospital gowns :-)

    Hugs!!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to hear that you've been busy, but don't over do it!!!! S told me the lasagna went over well and that it was the only one Bella has ever liked! :) Take some time during xmas break to relax and unwind!!!! You DESERVE it!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete