Hello Friends,
My hubby informed me that I should be updating my blog so people know what's going on with me. I said "OK honey, you are right....in between trips to the bathroom, sleeping, taking anti nausea meds and such :)."
All funniness aside, until I know what type of reaction I am going to have to the treatment, it may be a day or two until you hear from me. If I have too....I can have him update for me.
With that being said, here is how it went....
I had on my new outfit, oh yeah, I hit Nordy's and bought a cute pink tank top, coordinating workout pants and little sweatshirt. As my husband knows, I could be going somewhere (even for just one night)...I am not known for packing "lightly." So in we walked with our two bags of stuff, insulated cooler with snacks, a canvas duffle with magazines, ipods, headphones, water, hand sanitizer, blanket....you name it I probably had it!
We were directed to my special treatment chair, reserved just for me --- right next to the nurses station. I was hoping for a coveted window chair; however, Christine my nurse said she wanted to keep an eye on me. There was no weigh in, lab work, just straight to the IV. She said because I had been there recently -- and they just drew labs, there was no reason to draw them again...OK, I won't argue with that answer, one less needle poking.
She started the initial IV for fluids. It did not feel horrible, but not great...a little "twingy" and the fluids felt cool. After the fluids and the pre-med, another type of benedryl to prevent allergic reaction. It was time for the "Red Devil." Christine decided to pull the first IV, because the backflow of blood was not as strong as she would have liked to see. So she re-poked and started another line...much better this time. There was no cooling sensation and now I know that this is how it should feel from the beginning.
The "Red Devil" is the strongest medicine I believe I will be receiving. Christine administered the med using a large syringe of about 40 cc, slowly over the period of 10 mins. Next is was time for the second portion of my treatment, which was via drip --- both of these mixed with saline from a separate drip bag.
In total we were only there for about 1 1/2 hours...woohoo!
I was receiving lots of positive texts from friends, family ---- thank you so much.
Upon leaving I confirmed my time to come back the next day for my white blood cell boosting shot, which has to be administered 24 hours upon receiving chemo treatment. Since the chemo cannot tell the difference between good and bad cells, it conveniently kills everything...thus the white blood cell boosting shot helps my body restore the white blood cells to prevent infection and keep me healthy.
Since we were finished earlier than we though we would be, we called my folks and decided to meet them for lunch. I ordered a hamburger and a cup of soup. I was starving and on a chemo high (which I've heard about before). Had a nice lunch and hubby headed back to work, while my mom and dad took me home to rest, I could barely keep my eyes open and decided to nap.
Fast forward to 5pm....not good, the medicines were doing their thing!
Coupled with nausea, trips to the bathroom, a splitting headache and achy, I was a mess. My mom made me some chicken noodle soup, which was promptly "tossed" into our infamous purple bowl we use for when we are sick and cannot make it to the bathroom....note, never eat out of the purple bowl if you come to my house....just kidding, that one is not in circulation for regular use.
The next five hours were not pretty. Until about 10pm did I get some relief. Wonderful hubby got up and made me a plain bowl of oatmeal, which I felt was the only thing I could eat -- along with saltine crackers and ice chips. I took a Tylenol PM and drifted off to sleep.
Tuesday, I woke up feeling less nausea but wiped out and groggy. After another cup of oatmeal, more anti nausea meds, I was on my way to feeling better. Pretty much hung out in bed for most of the day until my appointment to receive my white blood cell boosting shot. My mom took me down to the treatment center, and I asked the nurse to go really slow...you've already heard of my angel friend Noelle, she gave me the most wonderful advice -- ask them to go very slow. It worked, a total breeze. There are side effects from the boosting shoot (of course there are!!)...bone pain, but since my bathroom looks like the inside of a pharmacy, I should be fine.
Grabbed a jamba juice on our way home, and came back to rest for awhile. Now don't worry friends, I've been eating Top Ramen, fruit, whatever I can stomach. And drinking lots of water ---upwards of 70-80 ounces a day.
Today is Wednesday, I am feeling much better today...still going to take it easy. I've got an appointment with the reconstructive surgeon and that's about it.
My next Oncology appointment is not until the 13th...with Treatment #2 scheduled on the 16th.
Thank you again for all your prayers, notes, cards, calls, texts, special songs --- they mean the world to me, and truly help me in my treatment and recovery process.
Love to all....and I promise not to be so lengthy next time!
My strong friend, you hang in there girl with your new outfits,(no need to justify)smoothies and Top Ramen, its kinda sounds like your reliving your college days "purple bucket by the bed". Just no fun party before hand and making out with boys in the alley.....oh wait that was me!!xoxo
ReplyDeleteKeep the faith girl, this too shall pass and you will be stronger than ever! Love and Prayers for you always!!!
Been thinking about you this week!! Hopefully you will be feeling much better now until your next treatment. Write as much as you want as this is your platform to let it all out!! :-) By the way....you looked absolutely amazing at church on the weekend.
ReplyDeleteAnna
1 Down, Thank God!!!, Keep up the Strength!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove you!!